This cathedral was constructed in 1929 and annually hosts more than 30,000 people! The “singing tower” consists of 54 bells which combined weighs 56,372 pounds. Now the cathedral is used for business, educational, and social programming.
Lombard Building (1893) 22 E. Washington St.
This style of building called Two-Part Vertical Block was extremely popular in the 19th century for commercial buildings.
Columbia Club (1924) 121 Monument Circle
This is a Gothic Revival style, and is named that for the pointed arches throughout. This was aimed to revive the spirit of Gothic architecture.
Merchant's National Bank (1912) 11 S. Meridian St.
This National Bank is a Three-Part Vertical Block and was the dominant style for tall buildings for the 1920’s.
Hotel Washington 1912 32 E. Washington Street
This is another type of Three part vertical block, and as you can see it towers over the buildings around it with a whopping 17 stories! Typically the top two floors were commonly used for banquet halls and gatherings. Today, it is no longer hotel – but rather used for office space.
The Hammond building was built in 1847 as an Italianate style building. This building was constructed during the time Mass. Ave. was evolving into a shopping center. Since then, this building has served as a home to many different businesses and practices! There have been surgeons, physicians, law practices, laundry mats, and even a fishing supply store. Currently the building is occupied by Price Waicukauski Joven & Catlin, LLC, who saved the building from demolition in 1979.